My everyday duties involved dealing with sample requests and sample stock, assisting with the preparation of screens, assisting with printing and drying the designs, as well as some design tasks on Photoshop. I was grateful for the design based tasks as I didn't expect to get this opportunity and learnt new techniques in Photoshop which will be useful in the future. I also really enjoyed doing some test prints as I received so many useful tips from Gavin who conducts all the hand printing. Another really enjoyable task was correcting the shade of one of the colours for a complex design 'Oriental Orchid' which involved adding dye gradually and doing a test print each time until the correct colour was achieved, and the difference this slight alteration made was incredible.
Drying Timorous Beasties' 'Grand Thistle'
Gumming a screen
The final colour match
Seeing the full range of designs in person was also a great opportunity, the visual games the company play with their designs and the skill of drawing and quality of prints, grounds and fabrics is very motivating and inspiring in terms of starting to think about my third year. Have a look: www.timorousbeasties.com
John and Gavin printing Timorous Beasties' 'Glasgow Toile'
Timorous Beasties' 'Glasgow Toile' on the print table
Selection of screens
I start my next work placement in August with Newmor, a wallcoverings company based in Wales - let's hope I learn just as much!
This post has been quite a bit of an essay so I'll upload some photos of what I saw outside of work soon.